Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mascara Honeymoon

If you are like me, you probably assumed that mascara has always been around in some sort of form similar to what is popularly marketed now in our drug stores.

If you are a normal person, you have probably never given mascara history a second thought!

While looking into vintage makeup, I stumbled across the concept of cake mascara. As I wrote in a previous post, celebrities and contemporary consumers alike have raced about this product.

A few days after writing about this, I received my package of cake mascara. While rumor has it that stars such as Marilyn Monroe have used  Longcils Boncza Cake Mascara  , I decided that I would wait to spend $26 on mascara, and try something a little more affordable first.

I decided on la femme makeup's black cake mascara in black. La Femme had a lot of positive reviews, and at around $5, I couldn't pass it up!

When I opened up the little box it came in I was surprised at how big the product was. Be prepared for something around 3 times the size of the mascara you are probably using now.

The mascara comes with two spoolie brushes, but as I had read these are not as effective as mascara brushes, and were quickly replaced with a brush from Walgreens.

I had brought la femme's cake eyeliner sealer to use instead of water, as I had read that the mascara was not water proof at all, and I am a crier.

Adding a few drops of the eyeliner sealer to the mascara I swirled my brush in and proceeded to apply it from roots to tips of the lashes in order to get a dramatic effect.

And the verdict? I love it! The mascara stays put throughout the day, but comes off much easier than my water-proof mascara. There is so much product in the case that many reviewers have had it for over a year and still have some left!

So give it a try! You just may have to show your old mascara the vanity door.

No comments:

Post a Comment