Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Curly Top


People, women in particular, have a habit of wanting what they don't have. This shows up in the areas of beauty and fashion as well. Ask any teenager with a mop of curly hair what she would love, and most likely on the top of her list would be to have pin straight hair. Curly hair historically has represented class and beauty, and to dream of curly hair supposedly foretells that someone will seduce you, finding you irresistible. For years, women have tried various methods in order to get the halo of ringlets or loose tumbling wavy that they crave. From perms, to rollers, sponges, to rags, a girl has tried it.

But what about those of us who already HAVE curly hair? Since 60% of the population has some from of curly hair, you would think that there would be a plethora of information on this topic. Sadly, there is not.

The trouble with naturally curly hair is that it is unpredictable and seldom dries exactly how you want it. This is where the right products come in. I was born with slightly wavy hair that has become curlier as I have gotten older. Supposedly this is hormonal, but I think the universe decided to finally grant me a wish. Luckily, I adore this new state and seldom straighten it, but it took time and A LOT of trial and error with different products to find what would really work for me.

Read on and learn about which products actually passes the test, and which ones were emptied for their spray bottles.

 

Paul Mitchell Express Style Round Trip Liquid Curl Definer 6.8 fl oz (200 ml)The #1 product I can not do without is Paul Mitchell Express Style Round Trip Liquid Curl Definer. This is my go-to product. As with all of the Paul Mitchell "Express Style" line it is designed to cut drying time. And if you are perpetually late as I am, this is a life saver. Putting 4-8 pumps of this thin clear liquid into your hair and scrunching with a soft cloth instantly brings to life and defines curls. I have put this in my hair and watched as the curls literally formed in front of me. And at $10-$12 you have nothing to lose trying this one!




Big Sexy Hair Humidity Resistant Volumizing Spray Mousse, Root Pump Plus, 10.6 oz (300 g)
 Secondly, I like to use Big Sexy Hair Humidity Resistant Volumizing Spray Mousse, Root Pump Plus. Not only do I like the price at $8.00, this is one of the few voluminous foams that has been strong enough to keep my curls lifted along the crown, and not leave a gunky mess. I lift up sections all around my hair and spray in a straight line as to make my curls appear fuller.






Aveda Light Elements Defining Whip (4.1 oz)Next, on the list of "must haves" is Aveda's Light Elements Defining Whip. After diffusing my hair on low heat, I like to take a fingernail size dallop of this and scrunch it into my hair. It makes hair soft and gets rid of any "crunch" that might have formed if you used hairspray or gel. Now, this is the priciest product I buy at $20, but it does last forever! I bought my last jar this summer, and I still have tons left. Plus, I have not been able to find a drug store or cheaper alternative that has the same consistency and delivers the same results.


So there you have it. Hopefully this will save you some money and help to defray your salon costs. And the more money you save at the salon is more money you can spend on clothes and make-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment